Sunday, February 5, 2023

Hawkes Bay Pinot Gris - New Zealand (Wine Tasting Blog Report)

 1.  


2. 


3. The name of the wine is a Hawkes Bay, Oyster Bay Pinot Gris. It is from New Zealand and is a 2021 vintage. It cost around $15. 

4. "I like this! Good quality, but with lots of tropical passion fruit notes and guava, yellow apricot. Simple, yellow fruit wine. Oyster Bay is a reliable source of entry level wine from NZ." - Lachie Corbett on Vivino. 

5. After tasting this wine, I would say that its on the dry side with much more acidity to balance the wine out. There is very little sweetness in this wine. (pg 9, wine folly). Moreover, the wine has notes of green apple, pear, and some citrus which I am picking up from the acidity (pg. 14). I'm not sure where I'm picking up this next hue from, but there are hints of bamboo. 

6. I did not have this wine with a food pairing. We drank the wine cold, trying to avoid warming it up with our hands. The wine had a biting acidity off the smell and immediate hints of green apple. Oddly, this Pinot Gris reminded me of coins, particularly dimes/quarters/nickels. Something with a nickel-copper mix. The wine felt very light-bodied once it coated the inside of the mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

DTN Lesson #1

 1. The Campo Viejo Rioja Tempranillo 2020 was the wine I selected to complete the DTN lesson #1. Immediately after opening I smelled vanill...