Sunday, March 19, 2023

DTN Lesson #1

 1. The Campo Viejo Rioja Tempranillo 2020 was the wine I selected to complete the DTN lesson #1. Immediately after opening I smelled vanilla and oaky notes from the bottle. I tasted very bold and tannic flavors of cherry and oaky-ness. The wine smelled great, on the nose I thought it would be much more sweet than it was after tasting it. After tasting it, it was much more bold and acidic than I thought it was. It left a puckering and hotness in my mouth, one that a soft sweet dessert wine would not. 

2. After leaving the wine open for around two hours, I noticed a much more pronounced vanilla and sweetness to the wine. It certainly still has a cherry undertone; however, the wine opened up much more towards a sweeter and softer wine. The wine could've been more appealing due to the fact that I had already had my first impression of it and knew what to expect. 

3. I paired the wine with a parmesan reggiano. The parmesan did not go well with the tempranillo in my opinion. I felt that the deep cherry and vanilla nature of the wine didn't pair well with the savory nature of the cheese. The slightly basic nature of the parmesan did allow for the fruity nature to come through; however, it was overwhelmed by the savory after taste. 

4. I then tried the tempranillo with pepperoni as the food. The salty nature of the cured meat again did not go well with the bold, tannic, and deep fruity notes of the tempranillo. Looking back on it I would have paired the wine with dried dates or possibly a brie to allow for the fruity notes to combine with each other and enhance each other. The wine and food did not create a new flavor, both butted heads with each other and clashed. 

5. After leaving the wine uncorked and uncovered overnight and trying it the next night, the flavors were further muted. The tempranillo lost all of its soft vanilla undertones and had a muted note of cherry that had really lost all of its gusto. The wine had the majority of its first few flavors; however, they were just much more muted 




Name of wine: Campo Viejo Rioja Tempranillo 

Year: 2020

Region: Rioja Spain

Color: Deep cherry red


Comments

Just opened
Smell: Vanilla, cherry, acidic notes
Taste: Very fruit forward with cherry notes right on the tongue 
Body: Much more bold and tannic than I originally thought it would be

Two Hours Later
Smell: Vanilla notes slightly faded with the cherry notes taking first place
Taste: Overwhelmingly cherry 
Body: Still tannic and bold with a hot sensation in your mouth

Cheese
Smell: Cherry notes
Taste: Bashed heads with the cheese and the fruit notes clashed hard with the parmesan 
Body: Much more acidic with the cherry notes completely taking over

With meat
Taste: Heighted cherry notes
Body: Acidity of the wine completely clashed with the savory nature of the pepperoni 

A day later
Smell: muted cherry notes with the vanilla undertones completely disappearing
Taste: muted acidity with the flavors really taking a back seat
Body: still tannic but has lost much of its gusto 





No comments:

Post a Comment

DTN Lesson #1

 1. The Campo Viejo Rioja Tempranillo 2020 was the wine I selected to complete the DTN lesson #1. Immediately after opening I smelled vanill...